There is an ever increasing danger that your systems , data or financial information could be compromised via a cyber attack. I think it is very wise to get an annual security check-up, something that we are willing to do for free (we think it is really important for companies to do and don’t want budgets to get in the way). However, if you are looking to step up the security game of your home or office, here are 3 things you can start doing today to make your network much more secure:
- Passwords: This is something that most people already have, but all your passwords should be getting changed every 30-60 days. Here are some passwords for your think about changing:
- Wireless Network
- Email Account
- Online Shopping – Amazon, Ebay, etc
- Banking/Finance Websites
- And any other password you use!
- Get AV and AM Protection: I am often surprised when I come across a residence or business that is still not running Anti-Virus (AV) and Anti-Malware (AM) protection. These are simple and cheap ways to quickly boost the pro-active defense and safety of your network. We can always quote out some great options, and our favorites are listed here: 825 Tech Recs
- Get a Good Backup: Get a backup that is not plugged into your computer all the time. With the increase in ransomware it is very important to have a good daily backup, and to verify it on a daily basis. For residents and Micro- to Small-sized businesses we recommend Carbonite. For businesses with more users and more flexibility with their data, we recommend Egnyte (contact us for more information).
Above are 3 EASY and NECESSARY steps to increase your network security. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, and you are welcome to add any of your thoughts or questions in the comments section below.